Latvia improves transport sphere, especially transit, at the recent years. Cooperation of ports and railways is important for development of container transportation. Ugis Magonis, president of Latvijas Dzelzcelš (Latvian Railways), tells about perspectives of development of Russian – Latvian cooperation.
- Mr Magonis, what are the main goals and divisions of Russian – Latvian cooperation after you and Pyotr Baskakov, director – general of OAO Tran Container, signed a memorandum on organization of cooperation while transporting containers at the international railway cooperation through the RF and Latvia?
- That agreement is very interesting for all the participants. Tran Container company plans to open a representative office in Riga. Russian company has a lot of fitting platforms; Latvia provides infrastructure and capacities of ports.
We are planning to restore Moscow-Riga container train. It is possible that the route will be extended to Kaluga. That is not the only way of possible cooperation.
- What is to be done for restore of Moscow – Riga container train?
-The procedure of border crossing is coordinated with the official bodies. The problem was that we did not manage to provide door-to-door delivery in Moscow.
Nowadays we are discussing the ways, which will help to settle all that problems. We have already agreed to use the existing terminals of OAO Tran Container for the full capacity in Moscow.
- Will the restoration of that route help to save the queues at the border?
-Most of the freights are transported by motor transport, volume of freight transportation rise constantly. It is obvious to try to transport some of the freights by rail. That will speed up delivery of freights.
- Latvian Railways operate container train Baltic Transit for already four years. OAO TIS is the main operator. Will Latvian railways keep that tradition?
- We hope that we will develop our cooperation on equal conditions. Possibly, a joint management team will be created.
- Port companies are for sure also interested in the development of cooperation. What new forms of cooperation with ports appeared?
-A working group of the specialists of railway and sea transport, Ministry of Communication, customs, veterinary will participate in that group. We have managed to save some time while handling containers.
We are interested in cooperation with ports, Port of Riga has a great perspectives.
- What are the most attractive parts of joint Russian – Latvian project?
-For the first time we will attract freights without middlemen. That will allow increasing volume of container transportation at the railway.
- Who will invest the project?
-Latvijas Dzelzcelš will invest ˆ 78 mln at the reconstruction of several sorting stations at the Riga railway knot. Port of Riga invested ˆ 80 mln at the development of the port infrastructure. OAO Tran Container will for sure also invest the project.
By Natalia Don
RZD - Partner