The goal of the environment policy is to determine the Group’s environment management principles and lines of action pursuant to the requirements of environment law, and regulations, and objectives and goals of the state environment policy goals set for the areas of commercial operation of the Group companies to reduce the negative impact on environment caused by their operations, to provide services that are safe for humans and environment, and to create a positive image of the Group.
The principles of implementation of the environment policy are as follows:
- The Group implements a joint environment management, in line with the business goals of the Group;
- Every employee is responsible for environment protection when performing their duties;
- On all levels of decision-making, their possible impact on environment shall be assessed;
- Preventive actions are prioritised to prevent the possible environment issues, information on the Group’s environment policy, goals, actions, and results is available for the Group’s employees and community.
Lines of action to achieve the goal of the environment policy:
- To reduce the emission of pollution in the environment, including emissions in the air, and water, emission of hazardous substances in the soil, the amount of waste, noise and vibration level;
- To use materials, energy, and natural resources efficiently and rationally;
- To reduce the use of chemicals, to replace hazardous chemicals with less hazardous ones;
- To take measures to reduce noise and vibrations in a densely populated areas;
- To modernise fuel base and equipment facilities;
- To take measures to protect the soil in the areas of potential pollution from the railway track;
- To ensure sustainable management of waste produced as a result of operations of Group companies;
- To reduce the adverse effect on environment caused by the operations of Group companies, including to take recovery measures of historically polluted territories;
- To improve the system for prevention of consequences of emergencies with hazardous cargo;
- To use the railway land division lines, considering the cultural landscape values and biodiversity;
- In the relations with cooperation partners and in procurements, pursuant to the applicable laws and regulations, to choose environmentally friendly products and services, including when modernising, and purchasing new rolling stock;
- To inform employees and community about the Group’s environmental aspects and actions in regard to the protection of environment;
- To popularise the ecological benefits of railway transport, to promote the support of community and government and to strengthen the positions of railway transport in the transport service market;
- To train and educate employees, to promote the environmental awareness of each employee and to contribute in planning, and execution of environmental protection measures;
- To maintain and improve the existing environmental management system in line with the principles of LVS ISO 14 001.