In order to ensure effective solution of environmental issues, the Environmental Policy of Latvijas dzelzceļš Group of companies, the Procedure for Identifying Environmental Aspects in the Latvijas dzelzceļš Group, the LDz Energy Management Regulations, as well as the SJSC Latvijas dzelzceļš Environmental and the Energy Management Program 2021-2028, which includes an environmental and energy management system.
The goals of the program are:
- to ensure the efficient, competitive and sustainable use of natural and energy resources;
- reduce energy costs by investing savings in development;
- prevent or reduce significant environmental risks, thus reducing the impact on the environment and climate change;
- to create the public image of LDz as an environmentally friendly company.
The assessment of environmental aspects used a method based on determining the significance of the environmental impact of the environmental aspect. The criteria for determining the significance of the environmental impact are the extent and probability (frequency) of the environmental impact of the environmental aspect, the potential damage to the environment, the opinion of the stakeholders, the requirements of legislation and other regulatory documents.
According to the assessment for 2019, five significant environmental aspects have been identified as a result of the company's operations:
1. Historically polluted and potentially polluted sites;
2. Energy consumption;
3. Consumption of non-renewable natural resources;
4. Noise and vibration;
Environmental aspects are reviewed once a year and every time when the company implements or changes production and service provision technologies and processes.
The insignificant environmental aspects are addressed in line with the requirements of the laws and regulations governing each separate aspect, requirements of Category B permissions of polluting actions, and best practice principles.