Although railway is one of the more environmentally friendly types of transport, it still creates certain impact on the environment. The emissions in the air and noise level are among those factors that have an adverse effect not only on the environment, but also on the human health.
Conscious of its responsiblity towards the environment, VAS “Latvijas dzelzceļš” has developed environment management system that from 2017 has been integrated with the energy management system.
The goals of the LDz environment and energy management programme are as follows:
- To ensure efficient and sustainable use of natural and energy resources;
- To determine the significant environmental aspects;
- To prevent or reduce the significant environmental risks;
- To develop the public image of LDz as an environmentally friendly company.
In assessing the environmental aspects, the method based on determining the significance of the effect the aspect has on the environment was used. Criteria to determine the significance of effect on the environment includes the extent and likelihood (frequency) of the effect, possible harm for the environment, opinion of interested parties, and requirements of other regulatory documents.
Significant environmental aspects include:
- Consumption of energy resources;
- Noise and vibrations;
- Historically polluted and potentially polluted areas;
- Railway pollution with historical oil products;
- Hazardous waste.
Environmental aspects are reviewed once a year and every time when the company implements or changes production and service provision technologies and processes.
The insignificant environmental aspects are addressed in line with the requirements of the laws and regulations governing each separate aspect, requirements of Category B permissions of polluting actions, and best practice principles.